Friday, January 21, 2011

The Love Language- Libraries




ARTIST: THE LOVE LANGUAGE

ALBUM NAME: LIBRARIES
RELEASE DATE: 7/13/2010
7.7/10




Pedals
Brittany's Back
This blood is our own
Summer Dust
Blue Angel
Heart to Tell
Anthophobia
Horophones
Wilmont
This Room


I have a late pass on this record. I was searching around for stuff to check out this week, but amidst my search I found out that Archers of loaf played an un-announced concert opening for the band The Love Language. I was intrigued by the band getting to have Archers of loaf open for them, so I went and checked out their last release, "Libraries"

The album opens well enough, with quite a large, dynamic sound to it. Sort of reminds me of "in the flowers" by Animal Collective. The album changes away from this sound on the 3rd track "This blood is our own." A voice that reminds me of Win Butler from arcade fire sings wonderfully over this sad 50s sounding ballad with a great string section behind the song.

"Summer dust" starts off, and it seems to take the record into a sound reminiscent of Arcade fires 2010 release "The Suburbs" Certainly this record was in need of a more rock centered drum beat, and this song provides a good change in tempo, even if only temporary. However, the piano work in "Blue angel" is definitely worth noting, as it leads so well into a Beatles-esque guitar solo.

Once again, the record gets a huge burst in tempo in way of the track "Heart to tell" Yet again somewhat sounding like Arcade fire, but not enough to be called a rip off. I really was not sure of his voice the first time I listened to this record, but on the second listen through I am growing quite fond of it.

The record seems to stay more on a well moving pace on the second half of the record, which is nice. The record is pretty lengthy, at least it feels like it. Not to say this is a bad record by any means, it seemed to move slow sometimes though.

The first time I listened to this, I didnt think it was anything special, and I cant say that I am the biggest fan of this record. However, it was good enough to warrant a second listen. I found myself remembering parts that I liked and looking forward to a part of a song to come in.

Overall, the record was pleasant to listen to. Echoes of Animal Collective and Arcade Fire are never bad things for a record to sound like, in this authors mind. Sometimes a bit dense, but overall the record has the hooks and melodies to keep you listening to it. Well constructed and well paced. I imagine I will be getting to know this record a little more.

No comments: